Post on Life After Laundry contain affiliate links. These links are there for your convenience. They do not effect the cost for you, but provides a small commission, which helps keep the creative content coming!
Since we are about half way through the year I thought it would be a good time to give you a little update on how my goals for 2013 are progressing. You thought I forgot about them, right? Well, keep reading and be surprised.
1) Be more organized- In my blogging life I want to h
ave more material written ahead of time. In my personal life I want tackle the filing cabinet! I can’t portray the dread I have for this in writing. I completely avoided cleaning it out last year, and now it sits piled full of papers, receipts, tax info and things I didn’t want to lose just mocking me. I also need to get rid of clutter. We have a small house that isn’t getting any bigger. I need to stop wishing for more space, and use the space I have.
I just started on the filing cabinet. Thankfully, the chickens need shredded paper for their nesting boxes, and I knew just where to find some. I still struggle with getting things scheduled. I’m only about a week ahead, but hope to be at least a month by the end of the year. As for the house, it’s always a working process trying to declutter.
2) Reach 500 likes on Facebook.- I am kind of nervous, I am not sure if this one was overzealous. I might need your help getting there.
I did it! I can’t believe I hit my goal half way through the year. I think I need to start dreaming a little bigger. New goal for the year is 1,000.
3) Start making Christmas gifts in July– This past Christmas I worked on my handmade gifts right up until the day, and still didn’t get everything done. I know it will sound ridiculous to me to start on everything in July, but I think it is the only way to ensure a little less stressful holiday season.
I’m in the planning process with this one, but July is right around the corner. I hope to be able to share with you great gift ideas this summer, so you can get the jump on it too.
4) Get a better camera and learn how to use it.- It’s definitely time for a new one. This is something that will benefit my family and blog. I’m already signed up to take some online photography classes. I just have to get the camera and get started.
GOT IT! I love my new camera. My photography isn’t nearly where I want it to be, but I’m constantly learning more and hope it will start to show eventually in my pictures.
5) More dates with my husband.- This one needs no further explanation. Everyone know how life distracts you from what is really important.
Grandma was out of town for a while, and then we had family visiting, so I can’t say we have done really good on this one lately. But, I’m hoping we can get back on track soon, like next week, it’s our anniversary.
6) Learn how to embroider.- My mother-in-law started to teach my a few months back, but then I got busy working on Christmas stuff and put it to the side. I have only learned one stitch so far, but I am excited to pick it back up. I even have an idea for a project that I want to work on.
Completely failed on this one. Did I mention grandma was out of town (my embroidery teacher) and since she has been back life has been really crazy. But, I am determined to have an embroidered project hanging above my sewing machine by the end of the year.
7) Find more toddler activities that I can do with our son.- Especially activities that will help him learn his ABC’s and counting to 20. I would like to start blocking off a part of the day to work on these things.
I have decided that when the new school year starts, it is starting here too. Not, that it will be super strict learning time all morning, but our day will be structure a little different. We will try to have a schedule more like what he would have in preschool. Of course learning is a priority, it will just be accomplished through fun age appropriate activities. I don’t want to go super crazy on this one, but I do want to make sure the Little Mister is ready for Kindergarten when it comes.
8) Go camping– I loved camping when I was a kid, and I want to take Eli so bad THIS YEAR! Plus it would give me a chance to spend time with the hubby, find some special outdoor toddler activates that we can do, and a chance to work on photography by taking picture of the whole thing. Win. Win.
We are gathering the gear and planning our trip right now!
9) Start a craft Link Party– I would love to see all the thing you are working on each week. I have been wanting to do this for a while, but right now I am still stuck on what to call my party.
It will be starting in August. I don’t want to giveaway all the details just yet, but look for more information soon.
10) Finish sewing projects– I have had 2 things on my list for well over a year now. I have the fabric sitting here waiting on me for a fleece jacket that I promised my husband, and a dress for me. Both have been postponed because I haven’t got up the nerve to work on them.
Well, my husband changed his mind on wanting the fleece jackets, 2 years of waiting will do that to a person. So, I cut up the material and used it to make blankets for Project Linus. It may or may not have been the blanket that won me my new beloved sewing machine. Thanks, Honey! The dress still has to be done. I plan on getting some muslin and doing a test run eventually. You can tell I am still dragging my feet.
11) Bake more- Especially bread. I have a bread machine, and have yet to really venture out past the basics.
Does collecting five bread machine cookbooks count? I did make banana fudge cupcakes with banana cream cheese frosting for my son’s birthday and brownies twice. I know this sounds crazy, but the baker in our house is actually my husband. For some reason the better he becomes at something the worse I get. So, I think I am better off leaving this to him.
12) Focus more on sewing– I would like to start writing more sewing/ quilting tutorials. My goal is submit a tutorial to one of the major fabric companies. (Moda. Riley Blake, …) My dream is to one day be an affiliate with one of these companies.
Well, winning a sewing machine and attending Bloggy Boot Camp this year definitely helped kick my butt in gear on this one. I have several sewing projects coming up and some new tutorials I hope you will love.
13) Put into practice 1 Peter 3:1-6 in my life- The main focus of these verses is “submission.” I know that is a dirty word in our society today, but I understand its importance. The problem is that I say I am submissive, but in my heart I am very far from it. Somewhere along the road I got my feelings hurt, and have let it harden my heart to the point that I’m almost hateful sometimes with my husband. Why is it that the ones closest to us get the brunt of our bad day? I know that I need to work on my relationship with Christ, spending more time in fellowship with Him. Only then will my heart follow.
I was crazy when I made this one of my 13 for ‘13. This is a lifelong goal that could never be fully accomplished in one year. Right now we (my son and I) are trying to find special ways to make sure we show our appreciation for my husband through his Father’s Day gift.
There you have it. I hadn’t forgotten about them! I’m feeling pretty good about these goals so far. Mainly because I’m a procrastinator, and the fact that I have anything accomplished in June, makes me pretty happy. Optimistic as it may be I’m pretty excited about the rest of the year.
Is there something you are trying to accomplish this year? How is it going?