Post on Life After Laundry contain affiliate links. These links are there for your convenience. They do not effect the cost for you, but provides a small commission, which helps keep the creative content coming!
Last month I shared this as part of the Summer Fun with Kids Series. Well, summer is definitely coming to an end quickly, so I wanted to share this kid friendly activity here, before the season was gone.
We visited a dinosaur exhibit last month that has been the highlight of our summer, my son is “roaring” at everything now. We saw a version of these eggs in the gift shop that day, but at $8 for something that would be crushed to smithereens in minutes didn’t seem like a wise investment. The little Mister’s Grandma and I decide it best to buy a $5 bag of little dinosaurs and try to make the eggs ourselves. When we returned home she quickly came up with this recipe that has been a very special summer activity for our little guy.
Of course for my son, these are dinosaur eggs, but really they can be used to hid any kind of treasure that your child might find exciting.
What you need:
- 1 1/4 cup of dirt
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cups of salt
- 1/2 cups of sand
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- About 1 cup of water
- Combine all of your dry ingredient into a bowl.
- Add water slowly. It took a cup of water for this batch, but it could vary slightly. You want the mixture to be just moist enough that when you squeeze it in your hand it sticks together.
- Form the mixture around the dinosaur and lay on a pan to dry.
- Dry in the sun for 24hrs.
- After they are dry you can hide them in a sandbox or throughout your yard for some additional fun.
- Use whatever tools you have on hand to chisel at the eggs and crack them open. They will be hard, so it will take hitting it a few times to get the dinosaur free.
I hope you will have a wonderful time making and then destroying these little eggs.
Do you have any summer projects still planned for this year?
Linking to these parties: The Craftastic Link Party/ Sweet Sharing Monday/ Inspiration Exchange/ Whimsy Wednesdays/ Wow Me Wednesday / We Made that Linky/ Ultimate Sensory Play Party/ Wicked Good Wednesday